Saturday, February 27, 2010

Senator Merkley Responds: Clean Water Restoration Act (S.787)

Dear Jadene,

Thank you for contacting me to share your support for the Clean Water Restoration Act of 2009 (S.787). You will be pleased to know that I am an original cosponsor of this important legislation.

I am committed to protecting rivers, lakes, and streams in Oregon and across the country. Access to clean water is critical for millions of Americans' supply of drinking water, as well as for recreation and wildlife habitat. For years, the Clean Water Act of 1972 provided common-sense protections for our nation's water resources. Since 2001, two Supreme Court decisions have undermined the Clean Water Act, significantly restricting what waters can be protected and putting many of the places where millions of Americans get their drinking water at risk. The Clean Water Restoration Act of 2009 was drafted to restore the ability of the Clean Water Act, to protect our waterways and maintain the health of our nation's water sources.

I was pleased to join with a majority of my colleagues on the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee to vote in support of this important legislation on June 18th. I am hopeful that this legislation will now be quickly considered and passed by the full Senate.

Thank you, again, for sharing your thoughts with me. I hope you will continue to keep me informed about the issues that matter most to you.

All my best,

Jeff Merkley
United States Senate
Senator_Merkley@merkley.senate.gov StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment